Medical care in Europe

Euroopa kaart

Here you can find information about what kind of medical care is available in Europe for people insured by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (EHIF) In addition, there is useful information for insured persons from other European Union (EU) member states who receive medical care in Estonia.

Who receive medical care in Europe and how?

People insured by Estonian Health Insurance Fund(EHIF) have several opportunities to receive necessary medical care during their stay in European Union countries, United Kingdom, European Economic Area countries or Switzerland on equal terms with insured people living in that country. For this, you must carry a European Health Insurance Card with you when traveling in the Europe. More information about the European Health Insurance Card is available on the European Commission's website, where you can also find information about every Member State healthcare system and the contact details of the authority responsible for the European Health Insurance Card. It is also possible to receive planned medical treatment in the medical institution of another EU country and apply to EHIF for reimbursement of treatment costs there.

Information about the National Contact Point for Cross-Border Healthcare is also available here. There is at least one institution in each EU country that helps people to find information on how to get medical treatment abroad. That kind a institution is called the National Contact Point. In Estonia, the EHIF performs the functions of the National Contact Point. Contact details for the National Contact Point for Health Services in other European countries can be found on the European Commission's website.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find what you were looking for?

If you have any questions, please write to our client service Thank you!